Grape and Wine Institute
The Grape and Wine Institute (GWI) is a collaborative partnership between the Missouri wine and grape industry and the University of Missouri. The Missouri Wine and Grape Board provides guidance and oversight to ensure that GWI fulfills its responsibilities. GWI provides information and advice on all issues related to viticulture and enology. Activities and programs are driven by industry needs and are science-based. GWI is committed to the sustainability of Missouri's grape and wine industry. Programs are offered without bias to all segments and levels of the industry.
Mission of GWI
Advance the growth and prosperity of the Missouri grape and wine industry through education and research.
- Industry-driven focus on Missouri's grape and wine industry
- Commitment to the sustainability of the industry, community, and environment
- Inclusive culture driven by accountability, transparency, collaboration, and delivery of results
- Education and research distinguished by integrity and excellence
Read the complete strategic plan here.
GWI staff members have a unique blend of education, experiences, and skills. We are willing and able to answer your questions about grape growing and winemaking.
- Director, Bill Wiebold
- Viticulture Program Leader, Dean Volenberg
- Viticulture Extension Associate (vacant)
- Vineyard Manager, Carey Page
- Enology Program Leader, Stephan Sommer
- Enology Extension Associate (vacant)
- Laboratory Manager, Connie Liu
- Media Producer, Karissa King
- Temporary, Zhiwei Fang